The Mind and Health
Your health is bound to be affected
if day after day
you say the opposite of what you feel
Goals for this Module
Assignments for this Module
- Explain psychosomatic illness and give an example
- Define the placebo effect and give an example.
- Do the "Anchoring" and "Progressive Muscle Relaxation" techniques
- Define text anxiety and list ways to reduce it
- Define stress as the result of interpreting a situation as overtaxing one's resources to cope.
- Explain and give examples of how stress can affect health behaviors and the workings of the nervous, endocrine, and immune systems
- List the signs of depression and strategies for dealing with depression
- Describe seven suggestions for getting a good night's sleep
- Read: The Mind and Health
- Read: Stress
- Read: Test Taking
- Read: Test Anxiety
- Do: Time Audit
- Do: Anchoring
- Do: Learning Activities for Module 4
- Do: Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Optional: Health and Wellness text Chapters 2, 3 and 4
- Wherever You Go, There You Are...one of the better how-to-meditate books, written by the director of the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
- Stress...MedlinePlus (U.S. National Library of Medicine)
- Stress Information...from the American Institute of Stress
- The Mayo Clinic Stress Center
- Resources on College Student Stress...from the University of Chicago Student Counseling Service
- Letting Go of Stress...a wonderful "guided imagery" audiotape, by Emmett Miller, a well- known psychiatrist and proponent of mind/body healing.
- MedlinePlus on Depression
- MedlinePlus on Anxiety Disorders