Nutrition and Health
A man is satisfied not by the quantity of food
but by the absence of greed
Goals for this Module
Assignments for this Module
- List and explain the recommendations of the Healthy Eating Pyramid
- Describe the Mediterranean Diet
- Read the Nutrition Facts Label on food products
- Define dietary fiber and list the recommended daily amount of dietary fiber for adults (20g-30g).
- Explain how dietary cholesterol and saturated fat contribute to heart disease.
- Know the definitions of high blood pressure.
- Read: Nutrition Basics
- Read: Readings imbedded in Module 5 Learning Activities.
- Do: Module 5 Learning Activities
- Do: Food Diary
- Do: Fast Food Restaurant Research
The Nutrition Source... Nutrition info from the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health
Food Politics... Professor Marion Nestle of the department of Nutrition at New York University blogs about nutrition, the food industry, and health.
Choose MyPlate.gov...provides practical information to individuals, health professionals, nutrition educators, and the food industry to help consumers build healthier diets with resources and tools for dietary assessment, nutrition education, and other user-friendly nutrition information.
Nutrient Data Laboratory...find out the nutrient composition of just about any food, from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Fast Food Nutrition Facts...provides the nutrient content of just about every fast food product.
Nutrition.gov...the U.S. Department of Agricuture's All-About Nutrition website
Vegetarian Resource Guide...from the Vegetarian Resource GroupFoodSafety.gov...about food safety and foodborne illnesses
Seafood Safety...U.S.President's Food Safety Working Group